Here’s How to React If A Pet Gets Into Your Weed

No pet owner wants to experience the horror of discovering their beloved pet has found the weed stash. But as more and more people get access to legal cannabis in Massachusetts and beyond, it’s happening more. A rise in pets being poisoned by cannabis products has been reported by veterinarians, particularly ones in legal cannabis states. It may be uncomfortable to imagine, but it’s best to be prepared. So, what should you do if a pet gets into your weed?

If you’re looking at this blog because your pet found your stash and helped themselves, take a moment to assess some things. Did you see your pet get in the stash? Do you see the aftermath of them eating your goods, or are you just assuming they got into the stash because of their behavior? If you saw them eat something or have evidence of a stash invasion, you probably have a good idea of how much they consumed. Good. If not, it’s okay. Look for these signs of intoxication:

THC intoxication in cats and dogs

Signs that your pet has consumed your cannabis can look like many things. Often you’ll notice a sense of anxiety and discomfort in your pet, as they don’t understand why they are feeling funny. 

  • Leaky bladder
  • Disorientation
  • Dilated pupils
  • Uncoordinated movements
  • Drooling
  • Hyperactivity
  • Vomiting
  • Tremor, seizures, comas (severe cases)

This list comes straight from VCA Animal Hospitals, which have seen numerous cases of cannabis intoxication in dogs and cats. And while these side effects can be terrifying for a pet owner, VCA Hospitals also claims that “these side effects are usually short-lived, but they can still be dangerous and make the pet quite miserable.”

If your pet is not showing signs of seizures or appearing to drift into a coma, that’s a good sign that you will likely have to just get through the discomfort and do your best to make your pet feel okay in the meantime. And while this can be a relief, it should not be taken lightly. Pets CAN die from cannabis intoxication. It’s just rare. So even if your pet appears to be doing okay after ingesting some edibles, it’s important to monitor their health and behavior, as well as check in with your veterinarian.

Call your regular or emergency vet, and be honest

Even if you’re 99% sure your dog is going to be okay, are you willing to take the risk of being wrong after they get into your stash? You don’t have to go rushing into the ER if they seem slightly disoriented with no other symptoms, but you should do your due diligence of checking in with an expert regardless. 

Here’s where people hesitate: Legal state or not, telling your vet that your beloved pet got into your cannabis can be terrifying. You may feel irresponsible, ashamed, or afraid of legal consequences. But keep in mind that it is not your veterinarian’s job to handle any of those things–it’s just their job to make sure your pet is healthy. 

Veterinarians are not there to report pet intoxications to authorities, it’s just not their job. Their job is to help your pet, and you’re not making it easier if you are keeping the truth from the experts. They need to know the truth about the circumstance so they can give you the best advice possible. This is even more important if your pet also got into other ingredients they shouldn’t consume, such as if your dog ate an edible chocolate brownie, which doubles as a toxin because dogs cannot eat chocolate. Bottom line, be honest.  

Your veterinarian will likely reassure you that it’s going to be okay. Find a comfortable space for your pet to relax, and be sure to equip them with food and water. While this is the most likely scenario, some occasions may call for more response. It’s why it’s so important to tell the truth from the start. 

If you are faced with a situation that calls for more than just waiting it out, you might need to bring your pet in for treatment. The veterinarian may induce vomiting, pump your pet’s stomach, provide anti-anxiety medication, administer fluids, or utilize other treatments to manage the situation. Only the vet can give you this advice or treatment, so it’s crucial to get on the phone as soon as you discover the situation. 

Prevent future incidents

If your pet has never gotten into your stash, now is a good time to double-check your storage techniques. Cannabis should always be kept away from children and pets, and even if your dog or cat has been good up until this point, it’s never worth the risk. Keep it out of reach no matter what. 

If you’re recovering from an incident of your pet getting in your stash, start by taking a deep breath. Remember that these cases are on the rise, and it’s not just you. It can be shameful, embarrassing, and downright scary to admit your pet got into your weed, but the alternative is doing nothing, and that’s not right. The best thing you can do after an incident is prevent future ones. And that starts with never leaving your cannabis in a place that could be accessible to pets. Lock it away, keep it up high, or store it in a room your pet cannot access. 

Final thoughts 

Whether you found this blog because your pet just got into your weed (call a vet) or you want to be prepared for the future, we hope this helps to put your mind at ease. 

Need to stock up on some weed? Our Fitchburg dispensary has you covered. 

We are a recreational dispensary located in Fitchburg, Massachusetts, serving all guests 21 or over with legal identification. We carry a wide selection of brands with a variety of categories like cannabis flower, concentrates, pre-rolled joints, vaporizer cartridges, edibles, infused drinks, tinctures, topicals, and accessories. Give us a follow on Instagram, Facebook or Twitter.

Love The Healing Center? Leave us a review on Google or Leafly!

Are you 21 or older?

This website requires you to be 21 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.


© 2022 The Healing Center Dispensary. All Rights Reserved.