How to Make a Cannabis Pumpkin Pie!
With Thanksgiving right around the corner, pumpkin pie is on the minds of many. Pumpkin pie is heavenly on its own, but did you know you can take your Thanksgiving feast to the next level with cannabis? We’ll show you how to make a cannabis pumpkin pie to wow your Thanksgiving or Friendsgiving crew.
Of course, if you’re going to make a cannabis pumpkin pie, every guest should be made aware. There’s nothing funny about giving cannabis to unwilling participants. If your Thanksgiving crew is not on board for an infused dinner, it’s probably better to save it for a Friendsgiving gathering.
Whatever the situation, your guests are going to love this cannabis-infused pumpkin pie. Our recipe is a simple adaptation of this recipe from Sally’s Baking Addiction. We’ve swapped out the butter for cannabutter to give it a marijuana infusion.
If you don’t already have cannabutter on hand, you’ll want to make some for this recipe. We’ll show you how to make a small batch so you don’t end up with a bunch of leftover cannabutter. If you’d prefer to make a large batch for future uses, feel free to do so.
Make a small batch of cannabutter for this recipe
You’ll only need about three tablespoons of cannabutter for this recipe. We’ll show you how to make about four tablespoons to ensure you have enough.
Small-batch cannabutter steps:
- Preheat your oven to 230 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Using a grinder or your fingers, gently break down your desired amount of weed (we recommend around two grams as a starting point). Do not grind it into a fine powder.
- Cover a baking sheet with a layer of parchment paper or foil.
- Spread the ground cannabis over the parchment paper or foil evenly to ensure no material will touch the baking sheet.
- Bake for about 35 minutes, stirring every ten minutes or so to make sure it does not turn too brown or toasty. Take out early if it seems to be getting too hot.
- When the mixture is done baking, remove from oven and set aside.
- Scoop 4 tbsp of butter (vegan butter works well, too) into a mason jar
- Add the decarboxylated cannabis
- Tightly seal the jar and place in saucepan filled with water
- Bring heat to low-medium and allow the ingredients to infuse inside the mason jar for an hour
- Strain the mixture through a cheesecloth or similar tool to separate the plant matter
- Place in fridge to regain the consistency of butter
That’s it! Now you have cannabutter to use in this cannabis pumpkin pie recipe. If you don’t want to deal with making cannabutter, we have an alternative option for you later on.
Steps to make cannabis pumpkin pie
If you’ve ever made a pumpkin pie before, this process won’t be any different once you have made the cannabutter. Just add a little infused butter to the recipe and you’ve got yourself a tasty, potent treat.
Here’s what you need:
- Premade pie crust (this is a recipe for stoners, okay. Feel free to make a homemade one!)
- 15 oz can of pumpkin puree
- 3 large eggs
- 1 ¼ cups of brown sugar, packed
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ⅛ tsp ground cloves
- ⅛ tsp pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream (or coconut milk)
- 3 tbsp cannabutter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Whisk pumpkin puree, 3 eggs, brown sugar, and cannabutter together until well-combined. Now add cornstarch, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, pepper, and cream
- Whisk vigorously until well-combined
- If the texture seems too thick, add a few splashes of milk or non-dairy milk to thin it slightly.
- Prepare pie crust as instructed
- Add pumpkin pie filling to the pie crust
- Bake for anywhere from 50-60 minutes, until the center is almost set. Be sure to place aluminum foil over the pie after about 25 minutes of baking to prevent any burns. Check for doneness every few minutes after the 50-minute mark
- Remove from oven and allow to cool before eating
Alternative infused pumpkin pie option
If you don’t want to go through the hassle of making your own cannabutter, we have a super easy alternative: tinctures.
Tinctures are already activated so you can add them directly to food without decarboxylation. They are more volatile than cannabutter, though, and should not be brought to high temperatures.
If you want a pumpkin pie that will get you high without the hassle, make an infused cool whip topping. Just scoop as much cool whip as you’d like into a bowl and stir in your desired tincture dosage. Plop it on a slice of pie and you’ve got a delicious infused treat to celebrate the holiday.
If you’re not super familiar with cannabis cooking, be sure to start low and slow with your infused pumpkin pie. Edibles certainly affect people in different ways than smoking or other methods do, and it’s common to misjudge tolerance when indulging.
Our suggestion is to start with around 2 grams of ground cannabis for a whole pumpkin pie, because we assume the pie will be sliced into several pieces and enjoyed in multiple parts.
If you don’t see that amount being strong enough for you or your crew, you can certainly add more cannabis to the butter mixture and make a stronger product. On the other hand, if it feels like that might be too strong, absolutely feel free to cut back on the amount of cannabis used.
Edibles can take anywhere from half an hour to two hours to kick in, so don’t eat too many slices before you’re sure how you’ll feel. Nothing can ruin a great Thanksgiving celebration quite like accidentally being too high to function.
For those who are unsure about how they will react – start low and go slow.
Stock up at our Fitchburg dispensary
Ready to make that infused pumpkin pie? You’re going to need some cannabis first! Stock up with us.
The Healing Center is a recreational Cannabis dispensary located in Fitchburg, Massachusetts serving all guests 21 or over with legal identification. We carry a wide selection of brands with a variety of categories like cannabis flower, concentrates, pre-rolled joints, vaporizer cartridges, edibles, infused drinks, tinctures, topicals, and accessories. You can follow us on Instagram, Facebook or Twitter.
Love The Healing Center? Leave us a review on Google or Leafly!