Why are Cannabis terpenes important?
What are Terpenes? Terpenes are a group of organic compounds found in many plants, including cannabis. They are responsible for the distinct aromas and flavors of different cannabis strains, as well as their therapeutic effects.
There are over 100 different terpenes found in cannabis, each with its own unique properties and benefits. Some of the most common terpenes found in cannabis include:
Common Terpenes Found in Cannabis
- Myrcene: This is one of the most abundant terpenes found in cannabis, and it is known for its sedative and relaxing effects. It is also found in hops, which is one of the reasons why beer and cannabis can have similar flavors and aromas.
- Limonene: This terpene has a citrusy aroma and is often found in sativa strains. It is known for its uplifting and mood-boosting effects and is believed to have anti-inflammatory properties.
- Pinene: As the name suggests, pinene has a piney aroma and is found in many cannabis strains. It is believed to have anti-inflammatory and bronchodilator effects and may help improve focus and memory.
- Linalool: This terpene has a floral aroma and is often found in indica strains. It is known for its calming and sedative effects and may help relieve anxiety and depression.
- Caryophyllene: This terpene has a spicy aroma and is found in many strains of cannabis. It is believed to have anti-inflammatory properties and may help relieve pain.
Why are Terpenes in Cannabis important?
Terpenes are important because they play a crucial role in the entourage effect, which is the idea that the various compounds in cannabis work together to produce a more significant effect than any one compound could on its own. In other words, the combination of cannabinoids, terpenes, and other compounds in cannabis is believed to be more effective than just THC or CBD alone.
Terpenes are also important because they can help you choose the right strain of cannabis for your needs. If you are looking for a strain that will help you relax and unwind, you might want to look for one with high levels of myrcene or linalool. If you need something to help you focus and stay alert, a strain with high levels of pinene might be a better choice.
In addition to their effects on the body and mind, terpenes are also important for their potential therapeutic uses. Some studies have suggested that certain terpenes, such as limonene and caryophyllene, may have anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties. Other studies have suggested that terpenes may have antibacterial, antifungal, and anti-cancer properties
Popular Strains with notable Terpenes
- OG Kush – Myrcene, Limonene, Caryophyllene
- Sour Diesel – Limonene, Myrcene, Caryophyllene
- Blue Dream – Myrcene, Pinene, Caryophyllene
- Girl Scout Cookies – Caryophyllene, Limonene, Linalool
- Pineapple Express – Limonene, Pinene, Myrcene
- Jack Herer – Pinene, Myrcene, Caryophyllene
- AK-47 – Myrcene, Caryophyllene, Pinene
- Northern Lights – Myrcene, Caryophyllene, Pinene
- Super Lemon Haze – Limonene, Pinene, Myrcene
- Gelato – Limonene, Caryophyllene, Linalool
Overall, terpenes are an important part of the cannabis plant and play a crucial role in its effects on the body and mind. By understanding the different terpenes found in cannabis and their effects, you can choose the right strain to meet your needs and potentially benefit from their therapeutic properties.
Stop by The Healing Center
Need weed? We’ve got you covered. Stop by our Fitchburg dispensary for all of your cannabis needs. And if you have any questions, we’re always here to help and direct you to the best products on the market.
We are a recreational dispensary located in Fitchburg, Massachusetts, serving all guests 21 or over with legal identification. We carry a wide selection of brands with a variety of categories like cannabis flower, concentrates, pre-rolled joints, vaporizer cartridges, edibles, infused drinks, tinctures, and accessories. Give us a follow on Instagram, Facebook or Twitter.